Monday, September 22, 2008

Celebrating Recover . . .


It has been three weeks since my last post. I spent most of that time, trying to come up with a clever post to overwhelm my peers. This attempt left me with an awful case of “writers block.” Through this endeavor I have come to realize that my aim is not to overwhelm nor astound. However, my aim is to share with you what has been shown to me. This alone, is my opinion; it is not to be confused as a soapbox experiment. So please once again, sit back and learn from my experience while on the quest for epic life.

With my upcoming graduation from Fruitland, I have been left with many dilemmas. One of these is, moving back home. This has been an experience. Through all of the unpacking and moving around, I have come to a decision: I have too many books! As I have been sitting in my floor with stacks and stacks of books around me, I have noticed a common thread among them. I own too many “self-help” books. Whether it is over eating, co-dependency, or building healthy habits, I have them all. But I stumbled upon one title I have not reviewed in years. This book is known as Discipline & Recovery. Discipline and Recovery is a compilation of meditations/devotions for people in addiction recovery. Each meditation is coupled with a step from the “12 Step” program of alcoholic’s anonyms.

The 12 step program is not specificly geared towards alcoholics. All around the world, there are small groups practicing each of these “steps” towards victory. Why should'nt we all practice them? Have you ever take a look at them? The first one is: We admit we are powerless. It is in this first step and the meditation that followed, that I too have come to celebrate my recovery.

Not many of you know but, I too have battle addictions of many kinds. Do not ever allow anyone to tell you that addiction is only drugs and alcohol, for me, it goes much deeper. I have battled things that can easily be overcome and then others that I battle still today. Through this all, I have never been known for celebrating my recovery. For me, recovery is as much of a battle as the addiction. But I was encouraged though this devotion.

1 Corinthians 1: 26-31 states,
“Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

Step 1: We admit me are powerless…

It is in our weakness Christ showed us grace. It is in our weakness we have been called to serve. And it is in our weakness, we daily realize our power, strength, and victory lies in Christ alone. We are powerless, but that is exactly how God wants us. This passage needs no more explanation, nor review, it is says it all. I close with this, in our lives we depend on no one. We are taught that weakness is only for losers. However, I am here to remind you, it is in our weakness we are strong. God uses us in our weakest time to reveal himself to and through us. So please make the first step, celebrate your recovery and admit You are powerless.

1 comment:

YOUFF said...

I like, recovery is to me something that I must work towards everyday. The struggles in this world are so great at times it seems that they will over whelm me.The fact that I must D2S daily seems so easy, yet it is such a war that rages with out rest. I am thankful for your comments and transparency, it is of great comfort my friend.